About Me

My photo
I'm a wife of 19 years to Jeff and mother to two teens, Michael 18, and Tracy 15. The cats, Hannah and Leia,are female so I have a little female energy in the house besides me! In my previous life BK (before kids) I was a technical writer, poet, and essayist. Now I'm a write-at-home mom who tries to find the balance between writing, doing for kids, doing for hubbie, doing for the house, and doing for myself.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The End of the Innocence Revisited

The end of the school year is here. I can hardly believe it. Tomorrow is Michael's last day of kindergarten. Big sigh.

This has truly been Michael's year to blossom and grow. At the beginning of the year I wrote that I was afraid Michael would lose his innocence upon going to school and being around older kids. I needn't have worried for my son has retained his essence. He may know a lot more now about Star Wars and Bakugan characters than he did but he still daydreams a lot and picks his nose.

I look back to the fall and am amazed at how much Michael has learned this year. He learned how to write the alphabet and about the sound each letter makes, he can write his numbers up to 50 and beyond, he can now read simple books, he has taken spelling tests, and he has learned how to add and subtract (which he loves more than anything else).

He also learned some core life skills too: how to follow rules, about taking turns and sharing, being part of a group, how to be responsible for his library book each week, and how to be a good friend.

I honestly don't know if this would have been possible had Michael not had such a great teacher, Mrs. N. That he had a positive kindergarten experience filled with kindness and love made a world of difference. I know he will be sad to leave her classroom. I am sad also as I had the chance to volunteer in the classroom on a regular basis and really like her too. But, it's on to first grade he goes. I just hope he gets a teacher as nice and kind and knowledgeable as Mrs. N.

No comments: