About Me

My photo
I'm a wife of 19 years to Jeff and mother to two teens, Michael 18, and Tracy 15. The cats, Hannah and Leia,are female so I have a little female energy in the house besides me! In my previous life BK (before kids) I was a technical writer, poet, and essayist. Now I'm a write-at-home mom who tries to find the balance between writing, doing for kids, doing for hubbie, doing for the house, and doing for myself.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

The Last Day of Summer


I’m sitting in the back seat of Jeff’s truck next to Michael. Our bathing suits are on, the boat is hooked up, and we’re ready for one last ride in the boat and one more swim before school starts.

Outside the truck the clouds are looking dark and ominous. I look at my weather app and it says that rain is imminent in the next 66 minutes. I hear what I think is thunder right before Jeff gets into the truck.

Part of me wants to throw in the towel (literally!) and cancel the ride. Even though I have the laundry done, there’s dinner to prepare, backpacks to fill, schedules to create – lots to do before the first day of school. But the other part of me says screw it – it’s Labor Day and all we have done today is labor. In actuality most of what we have done this summer is labor, with a few boat rides sprinkled in here and there and one get-away to Wisconsin and Minnesota. If we get wet it doesn’t matter, after all we’re on a boat on top of the water, which is also wet. And if a storm rolls through we’ll pull the boat in.

Jeff echoes my sentiments and off we go. After all, a boat ride on Labor Day is tradition. By the time we get the boat backed into the water, Murphy’s law is being proven – it has started to sprinkle. But again, we plan on going swimming, which is wet, just like rain. Every other boat is rushing in – they’ve seen what the radar looks like. But I remember last Labor Day, when we decided to take the boat out. We had just backed in when a patrolman came over and told us that a huge storm was headed our way within the hour. My gut said go anyway so we decided to take our chances. My gut was right - the storm passed us by, not a drop of rain was shed, and we had a great time swimming.

Today we are the only crazy people launching a boat in the rain. I hope we won’t get caught in a downpour – don’t we deserve a little fun time before all the craziness of the school year starts?
As the boat carries us out to our swimming hole, I ruminate on my reluctance to let go of summer. I mean, no one likes summer vacation to end, but usually by the last few weeks of summer I am ready for routines to begin and peace from bickering kids.

This year, I’m not ready.

Maybe it’s because I know that winter will soon be here, for there is nothing that makes time go faster than a school year. September begins with curriculum nights and football games; October is conferences, cider mill visits, and Halloween. In November we begin to pull out warmer clothing and winter jackets and then Thanksgiving break is here. One month later is Christmas and New Years, and the days of summer with boat rides, sunbathing, bike rides, and reading on the deck are distant memories.

Winter is not my favorite season and so that is a plausible excuse for not wanting summer vacation to be over, but I don’t think that’s the real reason. The truth lies in my heart, and my heart knows that these summer days with the kids are coming to an end. Next year, the summer before his senior year, Michael will probably (hopefully!!) have a job and it will be his last summer before reality really kicks in and we have to start thinking about college visits, college applications, college, college, everything COLLEGE!!!

I’m not ready.

This summer was different, because it was my first with two teenaged boys. It was my first summer where time was not dictated by me but by the boys, who spent a lot of time staying up late and sleeping in and getting together with friends. It was the first summer I was able to give them some freedom to determine and make their own plans for the day.  It took me a long time to be able to give them that freedom without feeling anxious (watch for the post about that – it’s coming!!) but because of it we had a very harmonious summer. And I’m not ready to replace that with all the anxiety that comes with school – early morning rising, homework, lack of free time.

I remember as a younger parent with two active kids, talking to an older couple as we waited for our table at a local restaurant. They had teenagers and I could see as they watched our kids they were remembering their children when they were younger.

“They grow up so fast,” the dad said.

“Savor every moment,” the mom said.

I smiled and nodded and brushed their words off because the teenage years seemed so far away from the stage I was at with my needy elementary school-aged children. At the time all I really wanted was one moment of peace and quiet. Now, however, I am in that couple’s place and I have many moments of peace and quiet.

But they were right. The time with my kids has flown by so fast. In two years I will be the proud parent of a high school graduate and three more after that I will be the proud parent of two high school graduates. It seems inconceivable to me. I can’t stop time and I wouldn’t want to. Part of me is excited to see what these two young men are going to do with their lives; the other part can’t imagine daily life without them.

I’m not ready, but it’s ok. I’m going to take that wise couple’s advice. From here on out I’m going to savor each and every moment. The first task on my list is to enjoy this last day of summer vacation, clouds, rain and all.

The boat is now anchored in the deep water. The rain has stopped. Michael and I stand on the back of the boat, toes grabbing the edge. In tandem we jump into the cold water.  It is cold but refreshing.
We swim until thunder cuts our antics short and chases us into the boat. We are deluged with rain on the way to the dock, but it’s ok, we are already wet. 

No comments: